Nutrition supplements or dietary supplements are essential nutrients extracted from various food products. You may consume these supplements either on prescription by the doctors or as a daily driver to bridge the gap between food and nutrition. These supplements come in various forms, such as pills, powders, gels, liquids, or capsules.
People use it for several reasons. Various lifestyle changes have occurred by the use of nutrition supplements. The purposes fulfilled by using these supplements are below such as:
- Meeting nutritional gap – Indeed, we do not always get all the essential nutrients required by our body from the food alone. Therefore, dietary supplements fill this nutritional gap.
- Coping up with the declining ability to absorb nutrients from food – As we age, our ability to absorb the required nutrients from our food declines, which results in the deficiency of certain nutrients.
- Fighting harmful chemicals – The modern world is that of pollution and chemicals, and our body must fight it. These dietary supplements come with antioxidants that fight toxic chemicals attacking our digestive system.
- Exercising – The growing awareness of physically using our body in some way or another to have a healthy life has made exercise an important aspect of our daily life. After exercising, our body demands nutrients that aids in replenishment. It increases our nutrient needs.
- Poor eating habits – Our life is full of challenges and stress in both our personal and professional lives. Increase in amounts of stress, to various irregularities such as missing lunch or other vital activities.
- Preventing – Prevention is better than cure. People have started using these supplements to avoid expensive health issues that can be heavy both mentally and financially.
If you believe that to live a healthy life, you require dietary supplements, then you should take a step back and understand the other side.
Many brands manufacture nutrition supplements, and from a marketing point of view, these brands promote these supplements as healthy choices, but people should be wary when it comes to using them, as government authorities do not intervene in the approval of such supplements. Its credibility is the responsibility of the company. Besides, these supplements are purchased without a doctor’s prescription, but a doctor’s recommendation is still valuable.
If you want to lower your risk of contracting chronic diseases and poor health, you should add these supplements to your diet. However, it does not always have to be like this, if you need to add nutrients to your diet, you can also do it naturally by following a balanced diet or healthy food habits.
Following are the food items available in your kitchen that are the perfect substitute for nutrition supplements.
Spinach is rich in nitric oxide. It also has lutein and zeaxanthin, which are beneficial for the eyes. As we age, the ability of our eyes declines if we do not take proper care. Studies have found that food rich in lutein and zeaxanthin improve retinal health. Other foods include kale and eggs.
Eggs are a good source of protein, and they contain a nutrient called leucine that is good for muscle growth. Have eggs for better muscle health.
3. Turmeric and Paprika
They contain salicylic acid and help in controlling inflammation and fighting pain. They are natural aspirins that help you fight pain caused by inflammation.
4. Beans and lentils
Beans and lentils are insoluble fiber that is good for digestive health. Insoluble fiber cleans your digestive tract, and the one from supplementary powder is not as useful as natural ones. Other food items that contain insoluble fiber are seeds and bran.
They are also a good source of magnesium. It helps in preventing muscle and joint pain and headaches, and migraines.
5. Green tea
If you need a break from stress and want to refresh yourself, have a green tea as they contain theanine, which reduces anxiety and stress. The tealeaves are also known to boost mood and thinking.
Potatoes are good in potassium, which helps in the regulation of sodium levels. It keeps your blood pressure in check. Other food includes dates and papayas.
It is always better if we consume home-cooked meals rather than eating outside processed food. It contains added sugars and saturated fats. These food items are commonly available in every kitchen, and adding them to your diet will boost your health. Learn more about healthy food items available in every kitchen.